This was my first blog/social media conference to attend and certain aspects were what I expected and some weren’t. It was overall a great experience! Either you take stuff from something like this, or you don’t….and really, it’s your call. It’s also your call what you take.
My travels and first day were not all that pleasant. The wing of my plane got hit by lightening and I’m pretty certain that was actually the first time I ever thought I was going to die, and let me tell you, it was rough.
I was a mess when I got off the plane and combine that with the Dallas traffic, my anxiety was through the roof. Becky, who I’ve met several times over the past several years, is so sweet and picked me up from the airport. We grabbed lunch before heading to the hotel.
I also forgot my curling iron and glasses, so that didn’t much help my hair or vision while I was there.
I didn’t have a roommate, which kind of made me wondering if I would just walk the halls and conference alone. Luckily, I immediately hooked up with some girls I had been chatting with for a long time, so that was nice! I also enjoyed having April room with me the second night! Yep, April, who sells wonderful bows!
Meredith, from The Tichenor Family, and I are advocates for Save Babies Through Screening Foundation, so we had a few little projects while we were there, like a printable checklist and giveaway, which you can still enter HERE 🙂 BlaBla emailed me today and said they would love to take care of sending the doll to the winner. Very nice!
Once I headed up to the conference, I was going around the corner and a fork lift had it’s legs sticking out and I tripped 🙁 The fork lift was to the side, where I would not have run into it, but it’s legs were in the walkway. They basically blended in with the busy carpet, and I tripped. Initially, my ankle and foot went numb. I couldn’t feel anything and it freaked me out. The called the EMT and he checked it out. He said it was clearly hard to tell what was going on inside, but to get some ice, take some pain meds and have it checked if it continued to hurt. Thankfully, I was able to get up and walk away, although I wanted to cry as I walked : / My room was not close to the conference at all, so I asked the hotel if they had a closer room so that my commute wasn’t so far. I kind of had a hobble, but thankfully it didn’t feel all too bad during the day, but after I slept all night and stood up, I couldn’t hardly walk. I actually just returned from getting an x-ray because it’s still causing me pain in the mornings and the doctor said it is a bad sprain and should be better in no time! So, that’s good news!
– Some of the conference sessions I didn’t take much from, but some really got me thinking. I keep thinking the ones I didn’t take anything from, were maybe ones I just shouldn’t have selected to go to. There were about four to pick from.
– I know what I want my blog to be and I still feel secure with that even after Blissdom. I am in the process of a big project and a smaller one and I’m very excited about those!
– I have an entire list of things to think about and quotes that stood out. I have two books that were passed out that I think I will probably read. It was very nice of them to hand those out to us! Also, super nice of so many great companies to hand out “swag.” I wasn’t expecting quite so much and let’s just say I was having to sit on my suitcase Sunday morning to zip it!
– I thought I would get rest that I typically don’t get, but I ended up staying late each night learning more about my new “real life” friends and sharing more about me 🙂 It felt so easy to share things that I don’t put on my blog with these girls.
– Sometimes I can be shy and though I thought at Blissdom I would walk right up to people, I didn’t always do that. Honestly, I was worried I’d have their name wrong or their blog wrong. Sometimes I wondered if I didn’t recognize someone I talk to quite a bit…not to mention I couldn’t see faces across the room : / I was glad to hug the necks of so many wonderful ladies!
– I think what I got most from the conference is that time management matters. Thankfully, Megan Jordan explained how multi-tasking is a myth. Of course it’s impossible not to do with a ton on your plate, but by managing your time, you will have a better thought process for each thing. I didn’t even really feel like it was pertaining to my blogging or social media, but everything in general. I really enjoyed her session.
– The Gaylord Texan was AMAZING and their staff was quick and helpful!
– I checked people’s lists for what to take to a blog conference and business cards were on there, so sure enough, I got some 🙂 Tiny Prints did mine and I think they did SUCH a wonderful job!! I need to get some new family pics taken, though 😉
– Diamond Doll Design did mine and Meredith’s Save Babies card.
Here are some pics from the conference. Thanks to those of you who took these pictures and shared them with me 🙂
1. Lulu, Miss E & myself 2. Hopsy dropped by to visit! Hospy, Crystal, Miss E, Melissa, me, Meredith, Lulu & Katie 3. me, Miss E, Meredith, Lulu & Katie 4.Lulu, Katie, Me, Miss E, Meredith, Crystal 5. Me, Meredith & Mandy 6. Me & Becky 7. Me & Lulu 8.Me & Meredith 9.Meredith, me & Katie
1. I enjoyed having good gluten free pasta….and wine! 2. Pink jeans club, Busy Budgeting Mama, Meredith & myself. 3. Bracelets from The Shine Project. 4. Ice on my ankle in the evenings. 5. Goodies from Dr. Smiths, Gain, Cutter, Care.com, One2One Network, Johnson & Johnson, GoGo Squeez, Pedia Care, VO5, National Sleep Foundation, National Honey Board, Suburgatory, ConAgra Foods, Seattle’s Best Coffee & more! 6. The book of Business Awesome by Scott Stratten and START. by Jon Acuff.
They had a booth set up for headshots. My first set I was wearing a hoodie, so I went back when I had on normal clothes. I’m pretty sure my lazy eye is getting worse because I’m straining. Must go to eye doctor : /