Flowers, Herbs & Food

First off – would you mind praying for this family and possible leaving words of encouragement? Someone emailed me about them. Their two week old, Maggie, has been in the NICU and they are having to say goodbye to her today. Leaving the hospital without your baby is pretty much the worse thing ever. I remember feeling showered with love partially because of all the comments and such from my blog.

Here is part of my lunch today….

The best part about this is I had all of it at home. An even better part? The basil wasn’t slimy and lacking freshness…

This is all it took (plus a little salt and pepper)…

As I’ve mentioned a few times, I enjoying growing herbs. Well, I don’t really do much. I don’t think they last near as long buying them from the store and they cost so much more there as well.

Honestly, I’m not a planter. I have no desire to plant anything. I don’t know if it is because I thinking I’m doing it wrong, or what. Luckily, my mom enjoys this. Each season, she pretty much comes over and does some flowers, plants and herbs for me.

{Yes, I’m still ignoring the fact I got a lot of green spray paint on the deck while painting that table. We do plan to power wash and stain at some point.}

Right now, I have parsley, mint, basil, cilantro & rosemary. The other plant it is a hanging basket we need to hang.

I’ve not purchased a planter/pot in years. I should probably do that and pick up some pretty, more matching ones. Maybe at the end of the season when they are on sale.

I’m not all too great about watering things either. We’ve had lots of rain the past few days, so that has helped a great deal….especially considering I’ve been bed bound and not allowed to lift pitchers of water.

What I would really like to do is plant a garden to grow these things….

I know, my fruit cravings may be a bit much. haha. Unfortunately, we have a TON of bunnies around here. Elton chases them every day. They hide under our deck. I think think a garden with these items would last unless planted much higher up. You definitely get a better deal on fruit at Sam’s so a lot of what we get comes from there. We also have some local markets close by that we like.

I get sick of seeing plastic in the fridge and having to open lids. Since Brent’s been dieting and eating fresh and healthy, our fridge is empty enough to fit these in :) I just open the refrigerator door and have a buffet, haha.

Don’t let me fool you, my other craving this week is dipping oreos in milk. I’m not even a milk person. One of the twins must be.

Do you have a garden? Herbs? Any times to fruits or veggies in a garden?

*Don’t forget about the fun giveaway this week!

Comments

Oooh, that looks so yummy!!!!! I just moved into a new house with a wonderful garden and can finally grow my own things again:) So far we've planted carrots, parsley, dill and coriander. I have the basil in the kitchen since it's too cold for it outside right now.

I love fresh mozzarella and vinegar! It's such a lighty tasty snack! I just started a flower garden in my little rental. I know as soon as I own my own home I will have flowers, fruits, veggies, and herbs galore. I really want to grow mint. Must be the mix of being the daughter of a farmer and great gardener mother.

My parents just bought blackberries, raspberries, blueberries and strawberries to plant, we love doing this every year. So fresh and yum. I love eating fruit way too much, it's hard to stop myself from eating a whole batch of strawberries or blueberries.

This looks wonderful!! All those fresh fruits…yummy!!

My husband and I have a garden with lettuce, spinach, radishes, peppers, carrots, muskmelon, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins, watermelons, peas, green beans, tomatoes, and potatoes. We have some herbs growing too….

I need to go get some bright, beautiful berries now!

Take Care.

We have blueberry bushes and fig trees. The berries are just getting ready and there's nothing better than fresh blueberries!

Lowe's sells hanging baskets with strawberry plants in them. There was another fruit, too…I think grapes maybe? I've been wanting to get a couple!

I would love to have a garden and grow all my own fresh fruits and vegetables. But unfortunately neither my husband nor myself is very good with plants. Like I may actually have a black thumb. So no garden for me. :(

Fresh herbs are the best! We have cilantro, rosemary, basil (sweet & Thai), pineapple sage, and cotton candy mint.

I love, love, LOVE Caprese salad so I'm just a little jealous about your lunch!! :)

Your lunch looks so delicious! I can't wait to plant an herb garden in our backyard. I have such a hard time spending so much money on herbs every time I need them but I love using fresh herbs! The green table looks great on your deck!

Looks fantastic!

I know you are very into all natural products so I was wondering what type of fertilizer you use on your herbs if any?

I have some herbs and they're sorta struggling so any advice you have would be awesome!!