I’ll Lend You A Child

I’ll Lend You A Child
by Edgar Guest

“I’ll lend you for a little time a child of mine,” He said.
For you to love – while he lives
And mourn for when he’s dead.

It may be six or seven years
Or twenty-two or three,
But will you, till I call him back,
Take care of him for Me?

He’ll bring his smiles to gladden you,
And should this stay be brief
You’ll have his lovely memories as solace for your grief.

I cannot promise he will stay,
Since all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught down there
I want this child to learn.

I’ve looked this world over
In search for teachers true,
And from the throngs that crowd
Life’s lanes, I have selected you.

Now will you give him all your love,
Nor count the labor vain,
Nor hate Me when I come to call to
Take him back again?”

I fancied that I heard then say,
“Dear Lord, Thy will be done,
For all the joy Thy child shall bring,

The risk of grief we’ll run.
We’ll shelter him with tenderness,
We’ll love him while we may,
And for the happiness we’ve known
Forever grateful stay.

But should the angels call for him
Much sooner than we’ve planned,
We’ll brave the bitter grief that comes
And try to understand.”

A friend of mine, Jamie, sent this poem to me. Sweet Anni from The Martin Family also left it in a comment for me. I love it. Thanks, ladies.

{birthday-6.7.10}

{6.18.10}

{6.18.10}

Sweet Jill sent me this picture yesterday. Love it :)

I loved hearing all your movie watching info! I like to know of all the options out there.

Also, again, thank you all for the love and support :) Thank you for offering your generosity in whatever form that may be…..a thought, a prayer, a donation, food, pretties, etc. Some marigolds are pretty and some aren’t. Mine wasn’t, but all the comments before her and after her, were. Your words, and Cohen’s daddy’s words, are proof enough of the truth.

Comments

Very beautiful. Just remember God doesn't give you something He knows you can't handle.

Another song that I think you would like and maybe already have heard of is "He's my son" by Mark Schultz. I was introduced to it when I picked it to interpret for sign language class. It is a lovely song that I hope you will like.
    My prayers are always with you.

That's perfect and oh, so true. We do not carry our babies but rather we carry HIs babies. Your testimony and your faith is truly inspiring and to be admired.

Megan,

You are a wonderful mother, and will continue to be even with your baby in Heaven. And as far as Marigold Mama goes (I just went back and read the comment), I never once thought that you were trying to get money. I thought, as I'm sure others did, that you were just writing about what was going on in your life. When my son was in the NICU I told pretty much everyone how much it cost us. Which was a lot with insurance. Not because I wanted money, but because I was in shock at the cost. Don't let hateful, mean people like her get to you. Hang in there.

You and your hubby are an inspiration! Your faith, trust and strength are beyond!!! Know so many pray for you and lift you up! Know the few bad seeds out there are jealous of the love and support your family has and they don't!!! :)
    Love this poem and the beautiful pictures!

What a beautiful poem! It brought tears to my eyes and gave me chills. Cohen was a blessed child and all of us are touched to chare in your story.

Sweet poem for a sweet boy.

I posted before Marigold so I just went back to read her nasty words. Shameful. Judgmental. Just plain mean.

Then I read the supportive comments from all of your blog friends…and from your MIL and Brent and by that time I had tears streaming down my cheeks.

I don't understand why anyone would post something like Marigold Mama unless there's something a little twisted in their brain. I absolutely disagree with EVERYTHING she said. You have always been open and honest on this blog and that is why I follow you. Part of your honesty is sharing with us what it's like to receive a 64 page EOB…that's the reality of this journey and I am glad you shared it for those of us who have no idea.

I'm not very eloquent but I wanted to share my support for you!!! :)

My aunt passed away yesterday and while I was reading this poem I thought that maybe, just maybe she is holding your baby boy (she raised six of her own). I hope that brings you a little comfort. He's in good hands.

I just went back and read that comment. And I just wanted to say that I have NEVER for one second thought that about you. I can't understand why a person would attack someone in your situation like that. Heartless.
    And the responses from your MIL, and then your husband left me in tears. You are blessed, honey. So sorry for your loss, and please know you are prayed for by this stranger.

My sister is going through a situation with her baby girl right now. They are at Dallas Childrens hospital. Ella was born on August 9. She has 2 heart conditions, a restricted PFO, and HLHS. They did a procedure for the PFO the day she was born, and will be doing the Norwood procedure (leaving the chest open) on Monday. I know they would appreciate your prayers, as someone who has been down this road before. They have a blog set up for updates. http://www.elladawn.blogspot.com

I love that poem…
    And every time I see pictures of Cohen it brings tears to my eyes… both joy and sadness. Joy that we were all blessed to "know" him, and sadness for yours and Brent's loss…
    And I agree, for the number of people who have showed their support and love – the marigold is just the one teeny-tiny bad apple in the bunch!! (or the wilting flower.. whichever!)