HAPPY FRIDAY! 🙂 I hope you all had a fantastic week! I’ve been busy with work…and making yummy things! Yes, I clearly have a sweet tooth and lately I have just been feeling like cooking! Here are some sweets from this week. Some I cooked and some I didn’t.
Key Lime Pie Bars
Last week while at Target I bought a bag of Key Limes. I felt like I needed to use them so this is what I came with… well, here are the key limes…
I decided to make Martha Stewart’s Key Lime Pie Bars. These are some of the main things you will need….
I did use the electric mixer. I don’t use it as often as I should. The main reason is probably because I keep it in the laundry room and it is darn heavy for me to carry! haha. I was out of heavy whipping cream so I did not use that. My bars don’t like quite as pretty as Martha’s because I left them in the oven a few minutes longer than I should have . My favorite part is the crust. The key lime part was a bit too “tarty” for me. I know that going into it though because I had eaten a bar before. I have another recipe I may try soon with brown sugar and cream cheese. Here is the Martha recipe. It can also be found here.….
makes about 16
* 1 cup finely ground graham cracker crumbs
* 2 1/2 tablespoons finely ground graham cracker crumbs
* 1/3 cup sugar
* 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
* 3 large egg yolks
* 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
* 2/3 cup fresh Key lime juice , (about 23 Key limes total)
* 1 cup sweetened condensed milk, (14 ounces)
* 1/4 cup heavy cream
* 2 Key limes, thinly sliced into half-moons
1. Make crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a small bowl. Press evenly onto bottom of an 8-inch square glass baking dish. Bake until dry and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.(Leave oven on.)
2. Make filling: Put egg yolks and lime zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Mix on high speed until very thick, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to medium. Add condensed milk in a slow, steady stream, mixing constantly. Raise speed to high; mix until thick, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low. Add lime juice; mix until just combined.
3. Spread filling evenly over crust using a spatula. Bake, rotating
dish halfway through, until filling is just set, about 10
minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate at
least 4 hours (or overnight).
4. Cut into 2-by-2-inch bars. Put cream in the clean bowl of
an electric mixer fitted with the clean whisk attachment.
Mix on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Garnish
bars with whipped cream and a slice of lime. Ungarnished
bars can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days.
Wednesday night, sweet Lucy and her parents came over for dinner 🙂 She started walking this week! She didn’t take any steps for me but she did stand and balance herself. I think this pic that I snapped at a “down” moment is cute 🙂
Last night, hubby and I went to eat Italian food. Yes, with a Restaurant.com coupon 🙂 To meet the minimum purchase, we had to order a dessert 😉 We got this yummy chocolate cake to-go! Our waitress told us to zap it in the microwave for a few seconds. WOW…that round area of chocolate in the middle melted and it was amazing.
Another sweet happening this week! I had an exchange to make at Dillard’s. Well, unfortunately they did not have my size …at either Dillard’s here. However, they did have a HUGE sale going on. Everything that was currently on clearance was an ADDITIONAL 40% off! So, if things were 50% off…they were almost free!! Check out what I got…..6 dresses.. (you can probably click to enlarge)…
2 tops…..the black one has eyelet type flowers at the bottom.
and 2 pairs of shoes!!!
Guess how much I paid for ALL OF THIS?!?!?! $106.00! Yep! What a steal. One of those dresses is by Jessica Simpson and it alone was $136.00 at original cost! If none of the clothes would have been on sale, they would have totaled $413.00! The shoes didn’t have their normal tags on them when I got home but I imagine at one point they were both in the $80 range… Love them! So yes, that is almost $600 worth of beauties!! I am so pleased with my purchase that totaled $106 for ALL of the above!
Another sweet happening this week….Well, it has yet to happen but it will tomorrow 🙂 Hubby and I get to spend time with this sweet family!! Yay 🙂
I hope you all had a sweet week, too!
xoxo ~ Megan